Thursday, December 22, 2011

A Third Grade Christmas

Thanks for visiting my blog! I've recently added more holiday goodies.
So please be sure to click the link below to see how I make easy and personalized ornaments with my students!
Follow my blog to hear how I bring Christmas JOY into my classroom!



Easy to Make Personalized Ornaments


I have started posting short videos to a YouTube channel.
Please visit me there and subscribe!
I've posted another Christmas ornament idea there as well.

You Tube Channel

Well, we made it! A third grade Christmas all wrapped up and delivered! It has been a BUSY couple of weeks. There were so many ideas I WANTED to do with my kids this year but the curriculum couldn't be put off so I did some and some will have to wait until next year.
I was able to sneak in some reading fluency and comprehension practice during reading round time with some fun holiday poems.  Students cut the poem from the questions and glued them into their poetry journal. They illustrated their mind movie visualizations beside the text. They will leave third grade with an entire book full of poetry that they illustrated. I love that!
A Pack of Poems: Holiday Poems with Language/Math Practice
A Pack of Poems: Holiday Edition

I also was able to share my favorite holiday read aloud: The Christmas Crocodile.
The Christmas Crocodile: A Day of Integrated Holiday Activities
The Christmas Crocodile
I shared the story and lots of laughs as I read aloud this silly book.
Then we made our own Christmas Crocodile. Kids had a great time making this simple craft with just a few materials.



Then it was holiday party time! Here are some highlights:
We wrapped our Christmas presents to our families. It was a potholder that kids decorated with fabric markers.
Click the link below to see the the craft we made for our parents: 

 They loved wrapping the presents.

We played Minute to Win It Winter Version. Kids LOVED it! First up was Snowball Toss. They simply had to toss minimarshmallows to their partner who was holding a cup.



Next up was Stacking Snowmen. Here they had to build as many snowmen as they could in a minute with the minimarshmallows.


This one was called Shovel the Snow. They had put the pile of the snowballs (minimarshmellows again) into the cup using a straw. It was totally quiet in the room! Loved this game!





Then it was Build a Snowman. Gave them a roll of toilet tissue and they had to cover their partner with white! Fun game.




My great parent volunteers handled the party! They did a craft with kids. Here they were making a Dangling Snowman out of wire and foam. They turned out so cute.





Another mom had them make a Candle Cupcake. Adorable as well!



Now it's time to focus on family and friends and what Christmas is really all about. I hope everyone has a great, restful holiday break!!












3 comments: