co

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Science: A Soil Study-Layers of Soil

Wow, the week just flew by but I'm happy to say we accomplished quite a bit which is a good thing since testing starts in another week! It is full steam ahead, I told my kids to hold on tight-we are moving quick!  We are plowing through our unit on soil. Here is what we did this week:
 I plugged science reading into my language arts block  as a way to get it all in and give my students more exposure to informational reading. After we examined soil and figured out what it was, we went into our science book to do some nonfiction reading on the topic. Using our textbook allows students to have some experience with using tables of content, glossaries and indexes. It also exposes them to nonfiction text features like the headings, illustrations and labels. We found this great diagram of the layers of soil and we decided to recreate it.



We made a flipbook that includes the major soil layers or horizons.  I had a parent volunteer cut and staple the books together and I  typed up the descriptions of each one.  (See below)
I like to have students fill out the Clozed Notes on topics we study.  Third graders are not quite ready to write all the notes independently but are certainly capable of filling in key words on a note sheet. This also helps them work on using context clues.  For this set of notes I gave them the first letter of the missing words.  We filled it out and discussed it together.
Students then proved that they understood what would be found in each layer of soil by illustrating.
Here is an example of a finished product.  Now it is ready to go home to be studied.  Our "make and take" for this unit is a soil bag (big ziplock).  It will include this flip book, vocabulary cards and some note sheets and diagrams. 

Here is the Soil Horizon printable if you would like your students to create a flip book similar to this one. Check back...we also got in another investigation of the comparison of soil types this week.  Will post that one next!

Head here to get these materials to try in your classroom:


http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/A-Soil-Study-Unit-Experiments-and-Investigations-1329429

41 comments:

Erin H said...

Love it!! We are will be teaching plants and soil next year and I've been looking for some material. This is awesome! Thank you for sharing.

Jane Nordquist said...

Thank you so much for sharing this great activity. My students loved it and it was a great way to show what they had learned about soil.

Anonymous said...

thank u so much for your hard work .

Anonymous said...

This looks great! how can I get copy of this?

Anonymous said...

Would I be able to get a copy of this. It is a great idea. Just starting the soil unit with my Grade 3's. Thank you so much for posting. Sherrie7@rogers.com

Andria Walrond said...

Love this! Just starting our unit on soil in Stafford Co and would love to use this! Will def be following your blog, this is my first year in third and I'm loving it! agwalrond@gmail.com

Caroline said...

How can I download this printable?

Anonymous said...

Would you be able to e-mail me this document? I love it! kdrowan@greenville.k12.sc.us Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I would also love it if you could email me the document. I tried to download it but it said "private". Can you somehow change whatever setting to "public" so we can download that one?? Or can you email it to me? Alicia.dickens@myeagles.org. Thank you so very much!!!

Tracy Smith said...

I love it! We are starting plants. It said private for me too. I would love a copy! Thanks
iamtracysmith@gmail.com

4170b508-94cb-11e3-ae4a-000bcdca4d7a said...

I would love a copy! We are starting LFS flipbook for soil, but not sure it's going to work ... it's too much that it takes away from understanding of the horizons - that is the info my kids need. Haven't heard back, but hope you are well. Enjoy the snow!

JB2Teach said...

This is so cute! I'd love a copy as well. jlburrage@hotmail.com THANK YOU!

Anonymous said...

I would also love a copy! If you could send it to me at jas_str@hotmail.com I would really appreciate it! What a wonderful idea :)

Cindy Smith said...

I would love a copy of it as also if you could send it to me... clwsmith@gmail.com. Thanks so much

mndbennett said...

I would also love a copy! Could you send it to debbieb.bennett@gmail.com

Thank you

Ciera Paton said...

Hi there. I was wondering If you could email me a copy as well along with the answers. Im a UCF student and am doing a lesson on soil layers. I love your fold-able idea, and wanted to incorporate it into a lesson im writing for class. Unfortunately, we do not have books, so Im unsure about some of the answers for your cut outs. Thanks :) cierapaton@knights.ucf.edu

Amy Glascock said...

I would also love to get a copy of this item. I tired to download it and it said it was private. Thanks for all your hard work!

GardenGirl said...

I would love a copy as well! Thanks snowdenj@cfbisd.edu :)

Anonymous said...

I would love a copy along with the answers. angel.sewell@cowetaschools.org. I am going to use this as a review for the year. Thanks

Anonymous said...

can't download file. It saying that it is private? could you email me a copy? oharejennifer1@gmail.com

jhoward said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I couldn't print it because it said private. I would love a copy. cmoreno@ckschool.net. Thank you so much.

Anonymous said...

This is a great resource, thank you for sharing it! Could you please send me a copy also at jnoek@yahoo.com?

Ms.Waters said...

This is awesome!! You rock! Thank you for sharing it! Could you please send me a copy also at swaters@coppellisd.com ?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! Great lesson. Could you please send a copy? mdouglas@medfield.mec.edu

Anonymous said...

Great idea. Seymourcw10@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I would love a copy of this Luanda.harrold@lcps.org! Thanks and what a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Add me to the list--is it possible to get a copy of the soil layers study guide for notes? Thx.
K. Braun

Lucy Cherkez said...

This is such an impressive unit - I just finished mine on soil and wish I had stumbled upon your sight before. I already can't wait to teach this unit next year using some of these ideas! Thanks so much for sharing! Would it be possible to get a copy of the foldable graphic organizer, as it is private. My email is Lucy.Cherkez@gmail.com.

THANK YOU!

Mrs. Blackstock said...

Can I get a copy of your soil printables as well? blackstockke@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Awesome! What science book do you use?

Anonymous said...

Love this activity. This would be a great visual for my third graders. Would it be possible to get a copy of the printables? ncarter@pierce.k12.ga.us

Anonymous said...

love this..could I also get a copy..suecolon@hotmail.com

ana vogt said...

Hello!! First of all I loved this activity, and I was wondering if you could send me the printables with the answers? Thank you!! anavogt13@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea! Would you be able to send me the printables? Thank you!! My email is angmccauley@hotmail.com

Shoney Brice said...

Thank you for sharing! Please send me printables. shoney.brice@haralson.k12.ga.us

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. Can you please send printables to dgillis@ebrschools.org please. Thanks

Leslie Lim said...

I read your blog.I thought it was great.. Hope you have a great day. God bless.

Ritchie
www.imarksweb.org

Charlovely1 said...

Hi,

I just started teaching Science this year. Is it possible for me to get a copy of the worksheets? My email is cefurcronlane@philasd.org Thanks for sharing this!

Charlovely1 said...

Hi,

I just saw the link on your page to teacherpayteachers. Thanks again!

Nonnative Mommy said...

My four year old loves to examine the soil, the layers. Can I use the gapped soil horizons descriptions that you made available on your blog without buying the whole package?

Post a Comment