co

Saturday, June 21, 2014

A Summer Book Response: Story Pails


After a long and crazy school year, I must say I am super excited about summer!
I've got a son going to college this fall so as any faithful Dave Ramsey follower would do, I'll be working. 
The good thing is that I'm in charge of my own schedule and will be sure to work in lots of time for fun and relaxation.  I'm also going to try to catch up on my blog and try to post some of the pictures and activities I've done this past year but have not had the chance to write about. Thanks to all my faithful followers who continue to check up on me and send me words of encouragement!

I'll start with this reading response idea that I tried with my kids earlier this month. 
I try to give my students regular self selected independent reading opportunities.  We call this time reader's workshop and kids love it. I like to have my kids share out about the books they are reading.  Sometimes those are quick "book commercials" and other times we do something more involved like these book report reading pails. 

This project involved students responding to their book by telling about the characters, setting, giving a short summary and stating their opinion. 
Each of these elements went on one of the shovels. 


The pails were constructed so that the shovels could fit inside of the pails. 


Students can then share their books by reading what they wrote on the shovels. 


To make the sharing time even more special you could serve these cute sand cups.
The recipe is super simple and fun to make. 


I've added these materials to my Teachers Pay Teachers Store. 
Check there if you would like to try this with your children. 



3 comments:

ShaiEducator said...

Very cute! I love Dave Ramsey too, my husband and I took his Financial Peace class right after we married, changed our lives! Have a fun and relaxing summer, looking forward to your blog posts.

Think Wonder Teach said...

So cute! Have a great summer!

Misty
www.thinkwonderteach.com

Doris Young said...

Hi Jessica! Great to hear from you! Yes- I also took Financial Peace..great stuff! Need my son to watch his tapes with me this summer. I'm looking forward to checking out your blot to see what you have been up to! Hope your year ended well!

Post a Comment