Sunday, October 14, 2018

Problem Solving with Part Part Whole Boxes

Problem solving and real world application of math thinking is a huge component of our math standards these days.  My kids need tons of ongoing practice in this area.  Visualizing the math is a big part of what we are focusing on.  I love using part/part/whole boxes as part of this process. They allow students to see the relationship between a number and its component parts. This helps my students generalize the connection between addition and subtraction.  

For this activity, I included paper manipulatives to help students SEE the math even more clearly. 
Students are given a part/part/whole mat along with a sheet of problems like the ones below. 


Students cut out the paper manipulatives before starting the problems. 


Students read the problems and use the manipulative within the part/part/whole box. 
Some problems require students to combine the two parts to determine the sum. 



While other problems supply the students with the whole and one part. Students begin by placing all their counters in the whole and then they move some into one of the part boxes.  
This allows them to "see" the missing number. 


I like using these problem sheets, mats and manipulatives during my small group guided math time. 
This allows me an opportunity to watch students as they work.
I can "coach" them as they problem solve. 



It is times like these that I really get to know what my students know. 



I have added these to my Teacher Pay Teacher store. 
Click the link below to check it out....





0 comments:

Post a Comment