Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Writing In Third Grade

We've begun writing in our third grade classroom and to my delight, my students are way into it!
We have set up our writing notebooks and writing offices and students are loving their Quiet 10. To my surprise, no one yet has said they can't think of anything to write about. I begin our writing block with a writing mini lesson and right now we're working on learning how to write a well formed paragraph. I'll share more on that soon! I'm just about ready to change out our writing board and put new pieces up. I have formatted the board with a special spot reserved for each student. We will change out their writing to showcase their favorite work. For the first sample I just put up their "Glad to be in Grade Three" papers that they did on the first day of school. They were interesting to read and gave me insight into their personalities. Here are some examples and the page if you want it.















I have added an updated file on my TPT store for this FREE resource. It includes one for second and fourth graders as well. 
Click the link below: 


The folder printables that were used to create the "student office" are also included in my store.
Check the link below:


Student Offices

I've had questions about how I teach writing skills and strategies. My students keep a writer's notebook. I am all about keeping things simple and focusing time and attention on real writing so I want to keep my minilessons short, sweet and to the point. I use what we refer to as "slice and stick" note sheets.  My students do just that...they slice (cut) the sheet in half and stick (glue) it into their journals. We review the skill using the left side of the paper and then apply the skill using the right side. This is what I use during those more formal teaching lessons. I like that the notes remain in their journals for the year. That way I can refer back to it as we write or during writing conferences. It is also good to send home occasionally for parents to see.



Click the link below if you are interested in using these slice and stick notesheets with your third graders. 



Writer's Notebooks


0 comments:

Post a Comment