Sunday, September 15, 2019

Our Five Writing Responsibilities: Editing Rules

My kids absolutely love writing! 
We organized a spot in the room for our writing supplies and offices. 





We decorated our writing folders with photographs, pictures and words to inspire our writing. 





My kids are filling up pages.
Sometimes they write to a prompt that I give them.
Other times they get to choose their own writing topics.
Writing in their journals is always a wise choice if they are a fast finisher and complete assignments early.  So many of them WANT to write!
That makes my teacher heart so happy!





I loved that they were writing up a storm, but I wanted to be able to read and understand their writing. The whole purpose of putting pencil to paper, right?
Although I knew my kids got instruction in using capitals, punctuation, sight words, handwriting, and sentence writing in earlier grades, they weren't always using what they had learned.

I decided to spend one week reviewing their "Writing Responsibilities".
I took one responsibility a day.  I taught it explicitly using a visual slide show and then we practiced together using a practice page.  After we posted the responsibility.


After the week our poster was complete and kids had a chance to review each important writing skill with me. Now I feel like it is fair to hold student writers responsible for using complete sentences, capitals, punctuation, correct spelling and neat handwriting.




Now when we edit our drafts, kids know what to look for.


In case you are feeling the same writing struggle, I decided to share.
I have added this set to my TPT store.
You can check it out here:


Teaching 5 Writing Responsibilities: Teaching Slides and Practice Pages

My Five Writing Responsibilities Teaching Slide Show

Happy Teaching and Happy Writing!

0 comments:

Post a Comment