Saturday, October 8, 2011

Halloween Themed Book Review

Don't you love October? I've been trying to find ways to integrate some Halloween fun into our learning. We have been writing weekly book reviews on our Independent Reading Books. We started the year just giving oral "commercials" on books we loved. Then we started doing some shared writing where we would write reviews of read aloud books together. Finally, they started writing them independently. The scaffold approach at its best! This was their third independent attempt at a review and by far their finest! I was so encouraged to see their improvements! To tap into their excitement over this time of the year, I created the book form: " I've Gone Batty Over This Book". They rated their book, wrote the review and then they created a bat to go with it. Here are some pictures of the final results.
I was hoping I wasn't going to get 26 copycat bats, no need to worry! Kids have a way of making theirs unique!





This was a good Friday activity! Sometimes I think I just need to slow things up and give kids a chance to relax! They thoroughly enjoyed making these bats and produced some top quality writing work!








Here is the form I used. I hope someone gives it a try! Enjoy this season with your kids!(:



Batty Over Books





0 comments:

Post a Comment