co

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Spooky Science: A Matter Experiment

I know many of my VA friends are teaching a science unit on Matter now so I want to pass this one along before October is over. In this experiment, students are using the Scientific Method of Question, Hypothesis, Procedure, Observation and Conclusion to investigate changes in matter.

Students worked with a lab partner. Students are given a package of Halloween Gummies and told to pick one out to use in this experiment. Students are then to observe the gummy and record all its physical properties on the lab report below . (We had spent a couple of days prior to this working on what physical properties were).

Here is a student using a magnifying glass to get a closer look. She records in pictures and words what she notices about the size, shape, color, texture, luster of the gummy. We had a class poster we made earlier that week that included words that described texture and appearance. This helped them greatly! Lab groups placed their gummies in a small cup overnight.

The next day, the students got their gummy back and observe changes. This group noticed that even the water changed in color and smell.

They were VERY surprised to see the changes. The gummies grew by one centimeter and many changed in shape, texture and color.


Students recorded all their observations on the lab report below. They compared their result with their original hypothesis and wrote their conclusions.






Here are the experiment sheets if interested. I copied them back to back on one sheet. Students folded them in half to make a lab booklet.


Gummy Experiment 10001






Matter Changes 2 PDF




























8 comments:

Jen R. (The Teachers' Cauldron) said...

fun! I'll have to add this into my halloween week! :) Thanks!

Tina said...

This looks like so much fun! As a sub, I hope to get a class for 2 days straight so I can use this:) Thank you so much for sharing!
Good Morning Mrs Rubie

abby said...

Hi Doris,

I am your newest follower! I just saw your halloween gummy lab on pinterest and think it's awesome. We are about to start a matter unit - so it will be perfect (although I'll use different gummy candies). I tried to download your forms, but scribd said I had to pay for a subscription because these forms are part of their archives. I just used your photos to make my own forms - is that ok? I don't want to steal your idea! I was thinking of blogging about it because I think it's such a great idea (and obviously give you all the credit), but I wanted to check with you first. My email is abby3131@gmail.com and my blog is msalleysclass.blogspot.com. Sorry for the long post - I just didn't see your email address on here!

Thanks for your great ideas!

Abby

lee woo said...

I believe that two people are connected at the heart, and it doesn't matter what you do, or who you are or where you live; there are no boundaries or barriers if two people are destined to be together. See the link below for more info.

#matter
www.mocsbar.com

haven said...

Interesting info, I've been trying to find out a little more about this kind of stuff, thanks for sharing.

www.triciajoy.com

Cindy Dy said...

Awesome there, Great work, keep it up. I love returning back to this site and reading the quality content you always have on offer.

Ever
www.gofastek.com

lee woo said...

Love it! Very interesting topics, I hope the incoming comments and suggestion are equally positive. Thank you for sharing this information that is actually helpful.


ufgop.org
ufgop.org

Unknown said...

Hi,I found your site through pinterest. Any chance you still have the gummy bear lab papers? I tried to use Scribd but the papers were not available. Do you mind if I copy the forms or email them? its kcook@rcs.k12.va.us Thank you

Post a Comment