Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Snow is Falling....Books are Calling

I hope everyone enjoyed a wonderful Christmas with family. I had a great time and am now looking forward to some rest and relaxation. It is snowing and sleeting outside right now!  A perfect day to stay in with a book. I have three I'm reading right now. First is a Maeve Binchy's A Week In Winter. Maeve Binchy has always been one of my favorite authors. She finished this last novel shortly before she died this past summer.  I will savor every page...what a talented writer!
 
I'm also into reading Rick Warren's What on Earth Am I Here For?  I loved the Purpose Driven Life so I'm looking forward to this one.

Finally, I've heard from friends that this book is worth reading.  We have a new Barnes and Noble in town and I  began reading this one there in the store.   It hooked me from the start. Hopefully it will be the motivation I need before heading back to school next week.
Teach Like a PIRATE: Increase Student Engagement, Boost Your Creativity, and Transform Your Life as an Educator
 
Speaking of books, last week I had my students respond to a book they were reading by doing some writing about the character, setting, problem, solution and  then their reactions to the book.  We used this snowman template that I adapted from a cute snowman art project I found on Pinterest. 
This one I am naming: Snow is Falling....Books are Calling.  I like having students write free responses to books they are reading.  Having them share them with the class helps others try out books they may not have read on their own.
 
We posted these to our writing board for others to read:
 


Last year my students wrote simple book reports using this cute penguin response sheet:
Chill Out With A Great Book!

 
 
I only have scanned documents  to offer for these two book responses but if you are interested, email me at youngdor8@gmail.com and I'll send them your way.
 
I've also added a New Year's Day File to TPT if anyone is ready to think about next week.
 
 
 
 
 
Have a wonderful week!