co

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Breaking Big Words: Prefixes

Yes, well we do work with some mighty long words in third grade! My kids are learning that they are not all that scary if you can learn how to break them down. So we spend a lot of time working with prefixes and suffixes.

Here is a great book that I've used to introduce this word part to my kids. They have all sorts of books from this series....If You Were A Noun, If You Were A Verb...etc. etc.


You must check them out if you have not discovered this series already! I read it as a read aloud and "hook" into the lesson. Then it will go into a literacy station with some prefix activities for students to reread.


Here is the bridge map we have in the room to use when studying prefixes. It has been laminated and I use big paperclips to attach the prefix and meaning cards. This allows my students to manipulate and sort the cards. They sort the prefix with what it means and how it changes the baseword. We brainstorm examples which they write on post it notes and stick under each.








Here are the prefix cards and meaning cards for the prefixes: un and dis. I have others that I can post if people are interested. Send an email or post a comment and let me know


prefixun









Prefix Dis

Oh, these cute fonts are from Lettering Delights! They give free fonts for signing up with you email!




















21 comments:

Julie said...

These are great (and the font is adorable)! I have been working hard on prefixes with my third graders too!

www.lightafire3.blogspot.com

Gina said...

I would love to see the other posters you have! My third graders are constantly working on prefixes too :)

A Chocoholic Teacher

YearntoLearn said...

Yes please, share your other posters.

teacher said...

I love the prefix cards. I'd love to see more.

Rachel @ A Tall Drink of Water said...

These are adorable!! I would love for you to share the other posters!

Emily said...

These are perfect for my classroom! Please share the others :)

- Michael's Wife said...

Yes, please share the others!!
katie_wilson@comcast.net

Amanda said...

I AM TOTALLY ENAMORED BY THESE POSTERS! LOVE THEM!!!! I would love to see more too. Thanks for sharing & inspiring. :)

Amanda
http://www.oneextradegree.blogspot.com

Cheesecakegal said...

I would love the prefix cards for my classroom. I also love, love, love all of your poems. I would love a copy of any other ones that you have made that you have not posted. Thanks for sharing your great ideas!!!
mgibson40@gmail.com

Cassie said...

I would love to use your idea in my classroom! Please share and thank you :)
cassie_12085@yahoo.com

Lisa Lizak and Beth Wright said...

These are awesome! Thank you so much for sharing :) I'm so glad I found your blog today!

Lisa :) (new follower)
Made In The Shade In Second Grade

Doris Young said...

Thanks so much for the feedback guys! I have the others and will post them along with the recording sheet. Please check back! I'm so glad you want to use them!
Doris

judyogee said...

I would love a copy jogaard@gfpilots.org

Chello said...

I'm a special Ed. Teacher would love a copy. conmars60@gmail.com

Whitney said...

I want a copy please!! I will be teaching third grade next year and need all the help I can get! Thanks so much for your wonderful ideas. Keep them coming.

whitneywilkins@me.com

9a621734-d116-11e2-8b7c-000f20980440 said...

I've taught 1st for 7 years and was just "promoted" to 3rd. I would love copies of your prefix posters... thanks for sharing - your blog is awesome!!
nicoleam@leeschools.net

Anonymous said...

I would love to have the prefix posters. They are precious! Thank you for sharing.

ncabrams@auburnschools.org

Mrs. Clark said...

I would love a copy :). Jenniferclarksclass@gmail.com

emikesell said...

Would love to get a copy please!!!! These are super cute!

erin.mikesell@stanlycountyschools.org

The Busy Bees said...

Would love a copy
dmiller@igs.k12.wi.us

Miranda Walls said...

I would love a copy! mirchey@hotmail.com

Post a Comment