co

Saturday, February 18, 2012

A Make And Take Explorer Study Guide

I've gotten so many amazing resources from my blogger contacts out there. Now it is my turn to share one with you. I know many of my Virginia friends are or will be working on a European Explorer Unit. I wanted to share a great idea I got from a class I took a few years back. In it we worked on creating different types of study guides or lap books. Here is an example of one using pockets and cards. Here is the front cover glued to a simple folder

Inside we glued down four pockets. These pockets are made from legal sized envelopes cut in half and glued down. We glued the pictures of the four explorers we study in Virginia. As we learned about each explorer, we wrote down essential information on four cards which are then stored in their pockets.


We glued down a map that we use to show where they came from and where they went. Students are given a wikki stick that they use to match the four routes. They can do this again and again as they study the information. You could give them a pipe cleaner too, it would work just as well.





Here are the close ups of the cards. We include the most important points of each explorer.
The cards make it an interactive study guide because to study the students mix up all the cards in one big pile and then practice sorting them into the right pockets. We mark it with the explorers initials on the back of the card so students can self check at home when they study.



Glued to the back is the song sheet that includes songs for all four explorers. The songs also contain the important information that students need to know. One of my students was saying that the song was stuck in their head.....exactly what I wanted!





Those who know me know I love thinking maps. Here is one my kids made for a reference poster. It is a bridge map of the four explorers. The relating factors include where they came from and where they explored.



Here the kids took their cards out of their study guide and used them to play a version of Go Fish. The first student to collect all four cards from one explorer was the winner.








I could see how this type of study guide could be used for many other topics too. How about Famous Americans or Indians? Please comment if you are going to try it out! I love to hear your ideas on making it work for you!

Check out my TPT page to get a copy of this file on European Explorers!European Explorers: A Make and Take Study Guide




http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/European-Explorers-A-Make-and-Take-Study-Guide-913509




















44 comments:

~Stephanie said...

Great ideas! I am going to have to add that into my unit on Exploration for next year.

~Stephanie
Teaching in Room 6

Amy Brannon said...

I am currently teaching a simple machines/force unit. I think this might be a great way for students to collect information! Thanks for sharing

caryleighpoe said...

Hi! I love your ideas. I will try them out next year. I would love to see more of your little foldable idea. I have a smartnotebook made up with songs and activities for the explorers if you would like for me to send it to you let me know!

3rdteacher said...

Great idea..where did you find the templates for this explorers idea

Doris Young said...

Yay, I'm glad you will be trying this one out. I made the templates for the explorers shown here and the map is from a social studies book. If you would would like just comment with your email link and I'll shoot it out to you.

3rdteacher said...

I would love to have the templates.. this is such a challenging topic for some kids. Thanks for sharing
pearsonsm@staffordschools.net

Love it

Lindsay W. said...

I would love the templetes as well. I am getting ready to dive into my Explorer Unit.. I'm liking your idea here.

lwaibel@central51.net

jcutter said...

I would love these templates too. I am always looking for an alternative to worksheets and the connection to thinking maps is genius.

Thanks, Julie

julie_cutter@hotmail.com

Collinus Newsome Hutt said...

I teach a social studies methods course at the University of Colorado at Boulder. Would you be ok with me showing the students your work? My email address is collinus.hutt@colorado.edu.

Doris Young said...

Thanks for your comments. I've tried to email the documents for the Explorer Guide but some of your email addresses didn't take. If you asked but didn't get the files, email me directly and then I'll reply with them. My email is youngdor8@gmail.com

Reeding Teacher said...

I would love the templates. I just learned I am teaching 3rd grade next year ( I currently teach 2nd) and I am looking for cool resources.
kreed@harrisonburg.k12.va.us

Mrs. Jones said...

This is a wonderful idea. I would love the templates. We are getting ready learn about Explores. Thanks for sharing.

Anissa Jones
anjones@kingslocal.net

Diana said...

I would also love the templates! My students really struggled with explorers and I think this would be a great visual for them hopefully to "get it". Thanks so much!

Diana
littledee5@gmail.com

ckean said...

I would love to have copies. My kids have had a hard time with Explorers this year.

Thanks, Colleen

heathear franks said...

I would love to have the copies! I love your stuff!
heatherrfranks@gmail.com

Michelle Hannings said...

I would love to have the templates for the Explorer Unit.

mlhannings@yahoo.com

Thanks so Much!

Anonymous said...

My third grade team would love a copy of this activity. You can email me and I will distribute it among my team. msnellgrove@responsiveed.com

Anonymous said...

I would love the templates too, please?!??!?! jcfoundationsdirector@hotmail.com
Lori

Anonymous said...

TEMPLATES PLEASE? I LOVE THIS IDEA!
pejones@vbschools.com

Anonymous said...

I'd love the templates as well! Thanks for the awesome idea :).

Email: hcrappell@stmary.k12.la.us

Erin said...

Hi, I'm a teacher in Australia and would also l a copy of the templates if possible please. erinbrundell@live.com

Anonymous said...

I would love to have the templates!

amber.churcher@hcbe.net and aad1121@hotmail.com

One is my school account and I worried it wouldn't deliver. Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

Could you send me the templates that you used? This is awesome and would work perfectly for the unit I have to do for my student teaching!!!
ktmarief@uga.edu

Thank you!!
Katelyn

Jeanne Emmons said...

This is great and would be perfect for my students! I would love to have the templates! My email is emmons.jeanne@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I am student teaching in a third grade class now and LOVE this idea! I would love to have the templates!! Conkwrcl@dukes.jmu.edu

Thank you!

Lori Kleinhenz said...

Where can I get the templates? I searched TPT but did not find them.

Serena said...

I would love these templates! Thank you!

slair@pcsstn.com

Kimberly Haines said...

I would love to your templates! They are wonderful! Thank you!
haines.kim@gmail.com

Heather said...

I would love to have your templates! They are really great and would be so good for my unit on explorers next week. Thank you!

hhelbert@russell.k12.va.us OR hhelbert2009@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

I would love to have these templates. Explorers are hard for my kids and I think this would work so well. Thank you!

chaneyflahive@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Would you mind emailing me the template, too? I would LOVE to use it! THANKS!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my email address is wolfeks@spart6.org. THANKS!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Where did you get the grid map that you glued into the folder? Thank you!

Erin said...

Do you have any templates available?

tirzahdawn said...

I would LOVE a template! ajohnson@sjnok.org

Rachel said...

This looks great! Could I please get a template? Thanks so much!!

rjoann_08@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I love your idea and am looking for something different.
Thanks!
mnester@rcs.k12.va.us

cas said...

Could I get the templates? I am about to start and explorer unit. I looked on TPT, but didn't see it.
Thanks,
casknight@msn.com

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous idea! I would love a copy for the children I work with if you could please send! Thanks so much for sharing! sorceress6@hotmail.com

Connie Debes said...

I would love to have a copy of your templates also. Thanks! cdebes@lincolncsd.com

MikesMom said...

I would love the templates as well. I was also wondering about the map. Thanks for a fantastic resource that can be adapted for many uses.
jkmatuch@aol.com

Anonymous said...

I would love the templates as well. I am getting ready to dive into my Explorer Unit.. My email is tomicacrosby@aol.com

Anonymous said...

I would love to have a copy of these templates. I am teaching 3rd grade for the first time this year. My email is evinsde@pwcs.edu. If you could email me the templates I would be forever grateful.
Diana

Anonymous said...

Great ideas! We are currently doing a research project on all the famous Americans we have to know by third grade. They have to dress a paper doll like their person aloud with a written report. These cards would be a great way to get all students to learn!

Post a Comment