co

Monday, August 1, 2011

Reading Zone









HI to all my Blogland friends!! I've been MIA enjoying time with friends and family



Well, it's August first and I spent several hours setting up my classroom for the year. I'm in inservices starting August 12 and there are changes on the way at our school. I figure if I can get the class set up then I can devote my time to the lessons, organizing files and all the rest.






I created this I Pick Good Fit Books display for my reading zone. I picked up these great big apples at Teach and Stuff not knowing what I'd use them for. I thought they worked great with my basket. PICK actually stands for the key words....Purpose, Interest, Comprehend, and Know.



I've learned you can't assume third graders make good book decisions. I want them to build their reading stamina but they need to be in the right book if that is going to happen. They really do need our guidance, at least in the beginning. I'll be focusing on getting my third graders trained for independent reading time during the first weeks of school. More on the subject to come...check back!

8 comments:

ShaiEducator said...

I love it! I made an anchor chart last year of this but your apple idea is sooo cute! I may have to borrow it!
Jessica http://jessicaywinston.blogspot.com/

Doris Young said...

Gosh, please do, I'd be honored! I have "borrowed" a TON of your ideas in the past!! Thanks for the comment!

William Smith said...

This looks great. As a follow up you may want to consider having students write a sticky book review on the books that they enjoy reading the most. I have students post these by the library so when students are browsing they can look at what their peers love to read.

Thank you for the idea of the basket and apples,
William Smith
www.strengthtoteach.blogspot.com

Megan said...

I read Daily 5 this summer and I think this would be a creative anchor chart to add to the class.

Megan
Blackboard and Beyond

Kelsey said...

This is super cute! I always make my IPICK chart along with the students and some pictures of my shoes from our lesson, but this is sooo cute! I must try a theme too!

Kelsey
http://mrskippsclass.blogspot.com/

Amanda said...

This is so cute! :) I love the display!

Amanda
http://www.oneextradegree.blogspot.com

stephgray139 said...

I love this, I am making the switch to 2nd grade next year and this is a great anchor chart to start the year off with. Thanks so much.

Carots said...

Super cute! Can you please share how you constructed your "basket"?
Thank you!

Post a Comment